Acne (medical term acne vulgaris) is a term used to describe pimples and complexion problems that occur in many teenagers and young adults. Approximately 80% of people between the ages of 11 to 30 suffer from acne and it does not only affect the face but may extend to the neck, chest, back, and upper arms as well.
Acne usually starts appearing during teenage years as our bodies are going through complex hormonal changes and there are various puberty signs, one of them is over active sebaceous glands that produce sebum in our skin. Acne is a common skin disease that will not endanger someone’s life. However, severe acne can disfigure the external appearance of the individual and causing various psychological issues.
Sebaceous glands within the hair follicles or pores can become plugged when oil secretion occurs faster than the oil and skin can exit the pores. Occasionally the wall of the pore might rupture due to the plug. This may lead to inflammation, swelling and pus formation. Plugged oil glands may form blackheads and whiteheads.
Blackheads are not caused by dirt but rather a type of bacteria (p.acne) that normally lives on the skin and thrives on the sebum produced by oil glands. Sometimes the bacteria may multiply, causing inflammation and acne.
We are offering various treatment options for different types of acne, from acne facials for mild to moderate acne, to acne laser treatment for severe or pustular acne. In case you are wondering “where is the best acne treatment near me”, My Bliss Clinic will be the answer.
There are various treatment options available at My Bliss Clinic:
- Topical creams such as benzoyl peroxide, retinoid (e.g. Retin-A), antibiotics (e.g. clindamycin).
- Oral medications such as antibiotics (e.g. doxycycline) and hormonal therapy (e.g. Diane-35 for ladies). Both topical and oral medications are effective to many of our patients but might come with side effects that are intolerable to them.
- Intralesional steroid injections – Annoying zits popping out a few days before an important upcoming event? Injection of steroid with or without antibiotics will reduce inflammation instantly and speed up the healing process in 1 – 2 days time.
- SilkPeel Dermalinfusion – Microdermabrasion works by stimulating the skin healing process. A fine abrasion, coupled with suction, gently removes loose, dead and diseased cells and also clean out blocked pores. At the same time, dermal infusion of specially formulated Clarifying Solution delivers salicylic acid safely and effectively to improve the appearance of cystic and pustular acne.
- Acne facials – There are 2 acne facials available at My Bliss Clinic: Crystal Clear Facial and POREfessional Facial. Crystal Clear Facial utilises SilkPeel DermalInfusion to provide deep pore cleansing, whereas POREfessional Facial combines lactic acid with Ionto Sonic Cleansing for a thorough exfoliation – good for clearing up comedones.
- Acne Laser Treatement – minus the need for taking medications and their potential side effects, treating acne with lasers is safe with fast results. Clear & Matte laser’s precisely controlled Nd:YAG light energy safely penetrates into the skin to target overactive sebaceous glands and to reduce the risk of developing new acne inflammation. In addition, this acne laser treatment also accelerates the healing process and stimulate collagen remodelling, an important step in the long-term treatment of acne.
- TwinLight Rejuvenation laser is suitable for those having both mild active acne and dimpled acne scars as it combines 2 types of lasers: Nd:YAG laser targets on the active acne and reduce new acne formation whereas Erbium:YAG laser stimulates collagen regeneration in the deep layers of skin, resurfaces dimpled scars after several sessions of treatment.
Thinking of “acne treatment near me”, think of My Bliss Clinic.
- Choose the right skincare products for your skin type. Cosmeceutical products like Aknicare contain triethyl citrate and ethyl linoleate, which is able to control sebum secretion, reduce bacterial colonization, prevent inflammation, and the formation of excess skin debris – it eliminates acne by targeting all 4 acne-causing factors. Find out more about Aknicare products in our clinic.
- Wash your face twice daily with a gentle skin cleanser that is suitable for oily skin but not overly drying your skin. Choosing a good cleanser that suit you is paramount important when treating acne.
- Avoid using washcloth or sponge that might irritate your skin. A reusable sponge might potentially grow with germs if it is not cleaned and changed frequently, which may further worsen the acne infection.
- Topical astringents are optional to remove excess sebum. This should be followed by light moisturizer which comes in gel or lotion form.
- To avoid leaving permanent scars on your face, do not pick or squeeze on the acne lesions. Apply small amount of acne spot treatment cream and let them subside gradually.
Check out our Total Matteness Program
Message from Dr. Elson
Treating acne can never be simple as this is a multifactorial skin disease. Combining in-office treatments with lifestyle modification is the only way to improve acne. Our Total Matteness Program is a good start for most acne patients as it combines the Clear & Matte laser, pore clarifying Crystal Clear Facial, and the Ionto Sonic Cleansing treatment to treat acne in a safe and effective way.