Pores are essential to your skin’s health by providing oil to keep skin soft and hydrated. However, you don’t necessarily want to be reminded of their existence every time you look in the mirror. Pores are more prominent when they are dilated, infected, or clogged with oil, making them appear larger than they really are. While it isn’t possible to permanently “shrink” large pores, there are a number of ways to make them less noticeable.
There are two main factors that contribute to large pores: genetics and age. People who have skin that is naturally thick and oily tend to have larger pores. As people get older, too, sun damage and decreased skin elasticity can cause pores to dilate. The skin thickens, causing tiny cells to collect around the edge of the pores and make them look larger. Comedones such as whiteheads and blackheads are also a big contributor to large pores. When the pore becomes clogged by dirt and bacteria, oil within the pore begins to accumulate, causing the pore’s diameter to expand.
How can one improve enlarged pores? The good news is that the appearance of large pores can be greatly reduced in a number of ways.
- Cleansing the pores of debris, excess oil, and bacteria will significantly reduce their prominence. This can be achieved by using a face wash with Alpha Hydroxy Acids (Neostrata Skin Active Exfoliating Face Wash) , Beta Hydroxy Acids (Aknicare Cleanser) or Poly Hydroxy Acids (Neostrata Restorative Cleansing Gel). Results can be enhanced by applying Neostrata Oil Control Gel daily and Neostrata Citriate Treatment System weekly.
- Stop using skin-care products that clog pores or cause your oil glands to produce more oil. You must avoid products that are too emollient (meaning thick or greasy creams) or that have a creamy texture, as many moisturizers do. If you have oily skin, creamy, emollient skin-care products will lead to clogged pores.
- Avoid products with drying, irritating ingredients. Irritating products stimulate more oil production directly in the pore.
- Use only gentle, water-soluble cleansers and avoid bar soaps. Drying cleansers hurt the skin’s healing process, making red marks from blemishes last longer. If a cleanser causes irritation, it can stimulate more oil production. Regarding bar soaps: The ingredients that keep bar soap in its bar form can clog pores.
- Improve cell production to help the pore function more normally. Effective products for all skin types are prescription retinoids, such as Retin-A and Differin. These can be used by themselves or with a BHA product. Research has definitely established that Retin-A and Differin have positive effects on the way pores function, and you should consider these products for very stubborn cases or when blackheads are accompanied by breakouts. Retinoids have anti-aging benefits, too, so they’re great for those struggling with blackheads, large pores, and wrinkles.
- Use products loaded with antioxidants and cell-communicating ingredients to help heal skin and reduce wrinkles. Giving skin the important ingredients it needs to look and be healthy is critical, but the trick for those with blackheads and large pores is to use only products with a gel, liquid, or very thin serum texture. A well-formulated toner may be all you need twice a day to take care of this need.
- Exfoliation is also a key to minimizing the appearance of large pores. This can be accomplished by doing in-clinic treatments such as SilkPeel DermalInfusion and Professional Chemical Peels. Any treatment or products that increase the collagen content of the dermis will improve the size of the pores.
- Laser Toning – by using Fotona Q-switched Nd YAG, this gentle, no-downtime treatment is able to reduce unsightly skin blemishes while stimulating the deeper layers of the skin to regenerate more collagen and toning up the elasticity of the skin. That means – your skin will be transformed to have more even skin tone, refined pores and reduced fine lines after a few session of this laser therapy.
- Dynamis Resurfacing Laser with Erbium YAG fractional ablative laser. This skin resurfacing laser treatment is for those looking for solutions with a quicker results. Precisely-controlled laser energy penetrates the top layers of your skin to vaporize the scarred, thickened dead skin cells and stimulate the production of new collagen in the deeper layers of your skin. Expect a downtime of 4 to 6 days after this no-nonsense treatment.
- This all natural treatment purely utilises your own blood products. Not only it helps minimise your pores, you can expect a much rejuvenated skin with lesser blemishes and reduced fine lines and wrinkles.
- A minuscule amount of diluted Anti-Wrinkle Injections can be injected superficially and evenly across the face. Not only it will smoothen surface fine lines, but also reduce pore size and oiliness of your skin. Some patients even experienced some minor lifting and firming effects after the treatment!