Our pores are essential to our skin’s health as it provides oil to keep the skin soft and hydrated. However, you don’t necessarily want to be reminded of their existence every time you look in the mirror. Pores are more prominent when they are dilated, infected, or clogged with oil. This makes them appear larger than they really are. While it is not possible to shrink large pores permanently, there are a number of ways where we can make them less noticeable.
Two main factors contribute to large pores: genetics and age. People who have skin that is naturally thick and oily tend to have larger pores. As we age, sun damage and the decrease in skin elasticity will cause pores to dilate. As the skin thickens, tiny cells will begin to accumulate around the edge of the pores and make them look larger. Comedones such as whiteheads and blackheads are also a significant contributor to large pores. When pores are clogged with dirt and bacteria, oil within the pore will begin to accumulate, and the pore’s diameter will then expand.
So how can we improve enlarged pores? Well, here at My Bliss Clinic, we have a few ways where we can help you reduce the appearance of large pores significantly.
- Using a cleanser to clear the pores of debris, excess oil, and bacteria will help to reduce the prominence of pores significantly. This is achievable by using a face wash that includes Alpha Hydroxy Acids (iS Clinical Cleansing Complex) and Beta Hydroxy Acids (Aknicare Cleanser).
- Stop using skin-care products that clog pores or cause your oil glands to produce more oil! Try to avoid products that are too emollient (thick or greasy creams) or those that have a creamy texture (as most moisturizers do). If you have oily skin, using creamy or emollient skin-care products can lead to clogged pores.
- Avoid using products that have a drying or irritating ingredients. Products that have irritating ingredients will stimulate more oil productions directly in the pore.
- Use only gentle, water-soluble cleansers, and avoid using bar soaps. Cleansers with drying factors will hurt the skin’s healing process, making the red marks from blemishes last longer. If the cleanser causes irritation, it can stimulate more oil production. Bar soaps have ingredients in them that keeps the bar form, this ingredient can end up clogging your pores.
- Improve cell production by helping your pores to perform normally. Effective products for all skin types are prescription retinoids such as Retin-A and Differin. These can be used by themselves or with a BHA product. Research has definitely established that Retin-A and Differin have positive effects on the way the pore functions. These products can be considered for very stubborn clogged pores cases or when blackheads are accompanied by breakouts. Retinoids also have anti-ageing benefits so they’re great for those who are struggling with blackheads, large pores, and wrinkles.
- Incorporate products with antioxidants and well-communicating ingredients to help the skin heal and reduce wrinkles. Give your skin important ingredients that it needs to look and feel healthy is critical but it is trickier for those with blackheads and large pores. Using products with a gel, liquid, or a very thin serum texture is important. A well-formulated toner may be all that you need to use twice a day to take care of this problem.
- Exfoliation is also key to minimizing the appearance of large pores. This can be accomplished by doing in-clinic treatments such as SilkPeel DermalInfusion and Ionto Sonic Cleansing. Treatments or products that increase the collagen content of the dermis will significantly improve the size of the pores.
- Laser Toning – Fotona Q-switched Nd YAG is a gentle, no-downtime treatment that is able to reduce unsightly skin blemishes. It also stimulates the deeper layers of the skin to regenerate more collagen while toning up the elasticity of the skin. This means that your skin will be transformed to have an even skin tone, refined pores, and reduced fine lines after a few session of this laser therapy.
- Dynamis Resurfacing Laser with Erbium YAG fractional ablative laser. This skin resurfacing laser treatment is for those who are looking for solutions with quicker results. Precisely-controlled laser energy penetrates the top layers of your skin to vaporize the scarred, thickened dead skin cells and stimulate the production of new collagen in the deeper layers of your skin. Expect a downtime of 4 to 6 days after this no-nonsense treatment.
- Platelet Rich Plasma Treatment – This all-natural treatment purely utilises your own blood products. Not only it helps minimise your pores, but you can also expect a much-rejuvenated skin with lesser blemishes and reduced fine lines and wrinkles.
- Rejuran Healer PN/PDRN from Korea is a very popular treatment nowadays. Besides reducing pore size, this all rounder skin boosters also improve overall skin condition such as scars, dehydrated and dull skin.
- A minuscule amount of diluted Botox Injections (called microbotox) can be injected superficially and evenly across the face. Not only will it smoothen the surface of fine lines, but it also reduces pore size and oiliness of your skin. Some patients even experienced some minor lifting and firming effects after the treatment!