PDLLA, The New Generation Biostimulating Dermal Fillers
We are aware that aging skin is all about loss of collagen as we grow older over the years. Collagen is a protein that comprises about 70% of the dry skin mass when you are 30 years old. It strengthens your skin and benefits its elasticity and hydration. Collagen fibers create the infrastructure for elastin and hyaluronic acid, which are responsible for skin’s elasticity and hydration.
As we grow older, however, our body’s collagen factories slow production. The skin becomes thinner, drier, and less elastic. The loss of collagen leads to wrinkle formation and volume depletion.
While you can try to slow down the loss of collagen by having a healthy lifestyle and taking supplements, the faster way to replenish the collagen is by injecting collagen-stimulating substances into the skin. AestheFill is a new generation biostimulator from Korea available in the local market recently.
What is AestheFill?
The brand AestheFill is a compound word of Aesthetic and Dermal Filler, meaning filler with an artistic sense. While hyaluronic acid fillers focus on volume replenishment, AestheFill goes one step further and creates natural volume for the patient’s face.
AestheFill’s main component is PDLLA (Poly-D-L-lactic Acid), which is a biocompatible, biodegradable and biostimulatory substance, approved by the US FDA and also used in lifting thread and suture materials for over 20 years. It naturally stimulates skin cells to produce their own collagen.
AestheFill has patented porous microsphere structure, which can attract fibroblasts into it and induce the regeneration of collagen in the skin. It can be injected into most parts of our face, neck and hands to improve wrinkle appearance and restore volume loss on these areas in a natural way.
What are the advantages of AestheFill?
- Safe – Polylactic acid is safe and US FDA-approved substance under its GRAS (Generally recognized as safe) registration since 1984.
- Biodegradable – PDLLA is excreted outside the body after being decomposed into water and carbon dioxide.
- Long lasting results – it stimulates new collagen production and gradually degraded. Results can last up to 2 years.
- No migration – the product stays in the desired layer and does not migrate to adjacent tissues easily after being injected.
- Customized concentration – the doctor can adjust the concentration of this product to inject on different treatment areas to achieve the desired outcomes of the treatment.
How many sessions required, how soon can I see results and how long it lasts?
Average 2 to 3 sessions are required for optimal results. Treatments can be done 4 to 6 weeks apart. Results can be seen immediately after the treatment. However, after a week, the results will reduce slightly due to the solvent – water, being absorbed and excreted from the injected areas. It will become more noticeable over the next 1 to 2 months as the new collagen been generated gradually.
Once desired results achieve, it can last up to 2 years. Maintenance treatment will be necessary when results wearing off.
Will there be any side effects? Any downtime?
There could be minor side effects such as redness, tenderness and bruising due to the injections. These are temporary and will resolve after a few days. Occasionally there may be bumpiness on the treatment area which will disappear after massage.
Downtime is minimal. You can resume your normal daily activities within 1 to 2 days after the treatment.
What should I watch out before having the treatment?
- You should avoid having AestheFill treatment if you are pregnant or breast feeding; keloid-prone; blood coagulation disorder or liver dysfunction; known allergic to the substances found in AestheFill.
- If you are taking anticoagulants, aspirin, ginseng or ginkgo extract, you should stop taking it at least 24 hours before the procedure as these may cause bleeding or bruising on the treatment areas.
- Inflammation or infection at the treatment areas should be treated before undergoing this treatment.
What are the post procedure cares?
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 24 hours post treatment.
- No makeup for at least 6 hours after the treatment.
- Avoid drinking alcohol, sunbathing, extreme heat or cold exposure for 2 days post treatment.
- Avoid facial massage or any treatments for 2 weeks.