Caring for your skin after getting your laser treatment done is as important as getting it done by a medically professional aesthetician.
If you are not careful with your aftercare steps, it could prevent you from getting the result that you want. After all, laser treatment can help you minimize wrinkles, get rid of dark spots, and even sculpt and lift your face.
To help you with maintaining the effects you wish to achieve after the treatments, we have prepared this list of aftercare tips to help you get the best result out of your treatment and further prevent any complications.
Here are some aftercare tips for your aesthetic filler and laser treatments:
1. Aftercare For Dermal Fillers
A dermal filler treatment helps with:
- Treating lines, wrinkles, and folds of your face
- Contour your cheek and jaw
- Lips, chin and nose enhancement
- Rejuvenate ageing skin
It involves the process of injecting a biocompatible and biodegradable product known as Hyaluronic Acid (e.g. Juvederm and Teosyal) into the areas you want to be treated. This product is broken down by the body and does not cause any harm to you.
Some common side effects you may notice after getting a dermal filler treatment is swelling, bruising, needle puncture marks that might appear red, tenderness, and itching in the area.
Therefore, it is important to:
- Exposing the area to intense heat (like going into a sauna or being under the sun for too long).
- Strenuous exercise in the first 24 hours.
- Alcohol for 24 hours.
- Alcohol, aspirin/NSAIDs, Vitamin E, and Ginkgo Biloba to reduce the possibility of bruising.
- Any form of facials, waxing, peeling, or high-energy-based treatment two weeks after the treatment.
- Apply a cool (not cold) compress on the treatment area for 10 minutes every hour after your treatment. This helps to reduce the swelling.
- Get over the counter treatments to treat bruising (if you don’t receive any topical treatment from your aesthetician) such as Arnica or Hirudoid.
- Take Panadol if you feel sore at the treated area.
2. Aftercare For Botox Treatment
Botox is commonly done on patients who wish to reduce the appearance of wrinkles that develop on their face. It is also done to treat conditions such as migraines and excessive sweating.
It is done by injecting a cosmetic drug known as Botulinum Toxin, which stops muscles from contracting – helping to soften and relax wrinkles.
After getting your Botox treatment done, you might notice some redness, experience tenderness on the treated area and some swelling. These usually will disappear in one day.
If you do experience bruising, you can apply a pack of ice for relief. Bruising will usually go away after two weeks.
Once you’ve gotten your Botox treatment, do:
- gently exercise your face
- relax for the rest of the day
- maintain a normal heart rate
- avoid rubbing, touching, or applying physical pressure on the affected area; and
- leave the treated area alone
It is also important to:
- Wait 24 hours before you exercise.
- Go make up free for one day.
- Sit up for the first 4 hours after getting the treatment as lying down or bending can promote bruising as the toxin might spread around.
- Avoid alcohol, aspirin/NSAIDs, Vitamin E, and Ginkgo Biloba to reduce the possibility of bruising.
Even if a Botox treatment doesn’t require any downtime, it is best to
avoid these things:
- avoid touching your face for one day (some doctors will even suggest three days), this is to avoid the spread of the toxin
- avoid any other form of skin treatments such as facials, facial massages, and exfoliating scrubs
- avoid sleeping on the treated areas, if you got a Botox treatment on your face and you tend to sleep on your face, it is best to sleep on your back
- avoid the sun for at least 4 hours as it can increase your blood pressure and promote flushing, which will encourage bruising (some doctors will advise you to stay out of the sun for 24 to 48 hours
3. Aftercare For Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Treatment
The platelet-rich plasma (PRP) treatment is when your blood sample (10ml) is extracted from you and goes through a centrifuge to separate your plasma from your red blood cells.
These rich platelets are then extracted from the base of the plasma gel and injected into the deep dermis or fat layer of your skin. It will then help to increase skin thickness and improve the overall health of your skin.
After the treatment, you might come across some temporary side effects such as redness, swelling, bruising, tenderness, tingling, numbness, lumpiness, and feel some sort of pressure at the treated areas. Using cold gel packs/ice after the treatment can help to reduce with the swelling.
To help prevent complications in your treated areas after the treatment, it is advised that you:
- avoid scrubbing the treated areas for the first 4 hours
- wash your face gently with a mild cleanser once or twice daily without harsh scrubbing
- avoid high heat such as using a hairdryer near your face, the sun, sauna, hot steam shower, and strenuous exercises until the next day of your treatment
If you need to walk in the sun, use an SPF 30 sunblock and touch up when needed. Try to avoid make up for the first 24 hours and return to your regular skincare routine after the treated areas are healed.
4. Aftercare For Profhilo® Treatments
The Profhilo® treatment is done by diffusing Hyaluronic Acid gel into your skin and helps to remodel the skin from within. The results can be achieved and are visible within 2 weeks.
It helps improve skin tissue quality by stimulating four different types of collagen and elastin due to the slow release of the Hyaluronic Acid.
As it involves two injectable treatments four weeks apart, it is important that you:
- taking painkillers for a couple of days before your treatment (unless it is needed for a chronic medical condition but do check with your doctor and aesthetician)
- wearing makeup or touching your face after the treatment to avoid any risks of infection
- strenuous physical strain and sports for the first 24 hours
- getting into the sauna or taking a steamy hot bath for the first few days
- being under the sun if bruising or swelling occurs
5. Aftercare For Any Laser Resurfacing Treatments
Laser treatments are famous for their ability to give you the results you have always wanted.
No matter which laser resurfacing treatment you opt for with My Bliss Clinic, we will advise you to:
- Stay out of the sun: As your skin is very sensitive after the treatment, any exposure to the sun’s UV rays will damage your skin and even potentially worsen it. Wear a hat or stay in shaded areas if you really need to step out and wear an SPF 30 or above sunscreen before you leave the house.
- Cleanse the area gently: Even if your face is fresh from being lasered, you will still need to cleanse it but you will need to be creative with it. Your aesthetician might have some recommendation on the type of cleanser you will need to use so that you don’t worsen your skin.
- Reduce swelling with cold compress: With a cold compress or ice pack, you can help bring down swelling and minimise any redness that is commonly seen after a laser treatment. They can also help soothe your skin if it feels irritated.
- Moisturise your skin: Your aesthetician will most probably recommend a moisturiser that you can use after the treatment that is gentle on the skin yet provide high moisturising value. It is important to keep your skin hydrated so that your skin does not peel. A moisturiser also forms a barrier to the healing skin and helps keep germs out, giving you better results over time.
- Sleep with your head elevated: This helps to reduce swelling after a laser treatment for a few weeks. Try to sleep on your back or have a pillow propped up. When you are awake, try to not bend forward or have your head lowered below the level of your heart.
- Wait before you wear makeup: You might feel the need to cover up the redness, flakes, and scabs with makeup after the treatment. But rest assured that skin often looks worse before they look better. The use of makeup can irritate your skin that is healing and to achieve the optimal result, wait until your skin is truly healed before you wear your makeup.